Wednesday, February 27, 2008

OBFR turns 8 yrs. old!!!!

On February 21, 2008 at approximately 11:15 am we celebrated the anniversary of Owen's 8th year of life. As luck would have it his entire school was commemorating this event by taking the the entire week off. So Owen invited his good buddy Tate for a day of playing in the mud/snow, wrestling in the house and generally driving me batty. Since I was not about to bake a cake for both the actual day and for his party on Sunday, Owen opted that we go to the Cheesecake Factory, a least favorite of mine, for a post special birthday dinner treat.

The day before the party Owen and I baked his chosen cake. I was determined to attempt a pretty cake and not just settle for tasty. The pastry gods were with me. In my opinion. Owen did not allow me to put as much frosting as it needed to make it look like the Gourmet Magazine cover, but I don't care for lots of frosting either.



In spite of the weather prediction of a continuing warming trend for the party day, we woke to a fresh blanket (more like a sheet) of snow and colder temps than the previous day. Since the plans were a rain or shine hike on the Chubb Trail, all the kids showed up at 10 am dressed for a polar expedition: snow boots, face masks, snow pants, thick mittens and hats. It was obvious that these kid's parents do not hike and are clueless to the concept of layering and the BTUs generating by walking uphill. Within the first 1/16th of a mile Tony and I were loaded down with all categories of winter clothing.



There was some definite whining and complaining by some about being tired but good times were had by all. We came back to the house and the kids went wild while I rolled out the dough for calzones and each kid built their own from a table full of ingredients. Then cake, presents and due to the volume that 8 kids can generate I sent them up to the park to play until parents arrive at 4 pm. Upon arrival at the park Tate immediately fell into the icy pond up to his neck even though the water is only 2 1/2 feet or so. Owen valiantly jumped in after him and got wet 2 1/2 feet up his body. True friendship.






3 comments:

A Wanderer said...

I'm a little bit wondering what's with the pink?

Great job on the cake. Your cake-baking reminded me how long it's been since we baked a cake, and so I baked one to celebrate the end of winter champs - it was arduous enough to deserve a cake.

Idaho: Dirtbag Travel said...

Ya think its a little too pink? So does my husband. I am not committed to it. I'll try something new next week. I was getting tired of the old colors and thought i'd try a little livelier shade. hmmm...

Idaho: Dirtbag Travel said...

Ya think its a little too pink? So does my husband. I am not committed to it. I'll try something new next week. I was getting tired of the old colors and thought i'd try a little livelier shade. hmmm...