Monday, August 20, 2007

San Juan Hut to Hut Trip

Durango to Moab, 215 miles, 26,000 vertical feet of climbing..yeeha!
june 21-27, 2007

http://www.sanjuanhuts.com/
This was the third time I've cycled the San Juan Huts system. The first time, in 1998, was the Ladies Trip and we rode the Telluride to Moab route. The second time, the same route in 2003, was with a friend from NH and we shared the huts with 3 twentysomething boys from California. They were a hoot.

This time was the best and the most difficult. I did the Durango to Moab route with my husband, dad, sister and brother-in-law. The trip was a 10 yr anniversary celebration for my husband and me. Not so romantic but way fun. My dad was amazing. After 4-5 strenuous hours on the bike he insisted on making the dinner each evening. Who were we to argue? Did I mention he is almost 70 yrs old? Did I mention he carried enough gear for a 3 week trip in mid-winter, ON HIS BACK.


Many people have written of their SJH adventures so I will not give a day by day report. For lots of info go the the SJH website or google the subject to read individual accounts of the trials and tribulations. The best reads come from those poor souls who booked trips in September and got caught in nasty weather, unprepared. There is always nasty weather in September. Be prepared. Physically, of course but more importantly, mentally. Seven days of slogging through sleet and muck and pushing a mud-laden bike up 26,000 feet of mountains must certainly be a mind fuck. No thanks. I choose to go in the height of summer. I am wise.















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

NICE BLOG.