Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Weekend Trip: Driggs/Victor, ID

July 13-16, 2007
This is a standard destination for my family and I on the weekend. This was my third time this summer in the Teton Valley. Once to Driggs on my road bike. Once to Jackson ,WY to Mountain bike the Cache Creek Trail with the family and intern. Out west any trip under 100 miles is a treat. When I was living in New Hampshire, an 80 mile drive would get us well into Vermont or Massachusetts and to the Maine state line. Often, I would opt for a closer destination because I would consider that an was awfully far drive. Its all relative, eh?

The drive via Swan Valley and Pine Creek pass is the most scenic way to arrive in the Teton Valley. Much of the way is along the Snake River or Pine Creek and Targhee National Forest. Victor is the last town before enter Wyoming and is situated at the base of Teton Pass. It and Driggs are currently being ruined by short-sighted developed with seemingly no other purpose that to put as many mini-mansion as possible on every acre of land. The development is certainly keeping up with the pace of greed. Since this is "progress", I have recently decided that when we do ever manage to live IN the mountains I will choose a non-progressive locale if we are going to stay in Idaho.

We met some friends to camp for a couple of nights and go to the Music Festival at Targhee Resort. We camped off Ski Hill Rd. We did some climbing and playing in the creek building dams.

Afters Sunday's venue at the music festival we spent the night at a friend's house in Driggs. The next morning Tony rode his mountain bike back to Idaho Falls via the Big Hole Mounatains, something he has wanted to do for years. I took Owen over to Jackson Hole to play in the Snake River with his kayak before heading back home.






1 comment:

Frank & Amber said...

Hey, nice blog. Just found it while searching Idaho Falls Blogs. By the way, that wouldn't be Hollis, Dan, or Karly in the photos would it??? Just curious as my daughter Graycie is in Karly's class.... Again, nice blog and good to see others out and about in Idaho!

Frank
http://hereinidahofalls.blogspot.com