Thursday, September 20, 2007

Committed, as it pertains to commuting.

Commit, according to http://www.dictionary.com/: #4. to bind or obligate, as by pledge or assurance As in, "I am a committed cycling commuter and I feel good."

or is it....
#8. to place in a mental institution or hospital by or as if by legal authority As in, "She ought to be committed, dragging her kid around like that in this downpour!"

When we came back to St Louis we decided that we would commit ourselves to weekday travel via any means other than our car; our options being mt. bike, scooter, feet, tandem, train. So far, being committed does not feel too challenging. It is only September, which feels like July in Idaho, except for the humidity and possibility of copious quantities of rain. Our daily commute to school is a minimum of 6 miles on bike per day for Owen and 20 for me. I ride home from his school and save myself the $2 train ticket. With all the other places I went, last week I managed 135 miles on my mountain bike...and we played hooky from school one day since cousin Alaina was in town.....and I picked Owen up in the car one afternoon because I was babysitting baby Lilly. This week I had to go out of town 2 days so I won't be breaking my record and will be lucky to get much over 100 miles.

The thing is, it does not feel like a big deal. In fact it greatly reduces a number of stresses in my life. I am a nut case in traffic jams and the drive to Owen's school is the worst, due to construction. I don't have to stress about not getting exercise because it is exercise; although it lacks the drudgery of exercise. It gives my day a rhythm it is sorely lacking without employment. Plus I spend a lot less money. Train tickets to school are running us about $30/wk. This is equivalent to what I would spend on gas if I ONLY drove to and from school. But when I am behind the wheel of a car I am likely to get distracted and pull into a coffee shop, Wild Oats, the bookstore or any other place that wants to separate me from my cash.

Will we continue through the winter? I say yes and Owen says no. "There is no bad weather, just bad clothing choices.", I tell him. It remains to be seen, I suppose.
Commuting to the climbing gym

No comments: