Sunday, September 16, 2007

Nellie's Maiden Voyage.

Nellie is an active member of our family and as such is invited on most of our outdoor adventures. She is very athletic and dedicated to being in the front of the pack on all group rides or runs. She prefers to be part of the break away rather than hang with the peleton. Very few, if any, mortals can drop her.

Needless to say she was less than thrilled when we took up kayaking. She has no thumbs so she just can't hold onto the paddle. She goes to great lengths to sneak out of the house and into the car if she suspects we are going to go somewhere without her. She quickly learned that when Owen's yellow boat makes it into the pile of gear going to the car, she is not invited. She was determined not to be left looking out the window from on top the couch when the car drove away this day.

This day we were going to paddle a section of the Illinois River, near the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers. It was going to take under four hours and involve no skill, just muscle. There is quite a bit of river traffic, barges, ferries and such, but besides the wakes that these create it would be smooth sailing.

"Why can't she go?", I want to know. "There is room in the cockpit of my boat and I want her to come. She will have a blast and she loves to swim."

"I just don't think it is a good idea.", responds the curmudgeonly husband who is trying to put the kibosh on our fun. Its always just me and the boys. Sometimes its good to have another female around.

Well, I got my way.

I wish I had not.












No comments: