Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Crack Canyon, Ophir

This past Sunday Clay, Jenny, Owen and I went climbing in a popular canyon in Ophir, not too far from Telluride, that is know for its long crack lines and is appropriately named Cracked Canyon. There is something for every level here with routes ranging from 5.6- 5.12. There is a steep, scree approach that is a little sketchy but once you pick out your spot and settle in it is quite comfy.

This was Owen's first day-long, outdoor climbing experience so Clay wanted it to be some place fun that he (and I) would not get discourage by too difficult of routes. We were the first climbers at the area but within a couple of hours about 5 other parties showed up. I don't know the name of all the routes we climbed but we stayed on the west wall until the last climb. These routes were challenging, for me, but not impossible.




Right before we were about to leave Clay decided he wanted to do a more challenging route, Orange Peel 5.10a, on the east wall that a couple had just evacuated who were obviously seasoned climbers. The guy made it up no problem, but the girl struggled and finally gave up less than half way up. That did not bode well for any attempt by me and I figured Owen would not even make it too far off the ground. Well I was right about me and wrong about Owen. I did not make it past the crux and Owen sent it like he'd been crack climbing for years. All of us who were watching were slack-jawed. He was entirely nonchalant about the feat and now wants to know when he gets to go to Indian Creek to climb.



No comments: